Profile of a London Met graduate

A profile of one of our successful graduates

Zinab Aldaraji

1) When did you graduate and what in?

I have graduated in February 2014 with a First Class Degree in BA Business Management.

2) Where are you working and what are you doing?

I am currently working for the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, and I am providing support to the Corporate Social Responsibility team in Charge of all the EMEA region.

Some of the tasks that I have to carry out:

• Event Management for the different events related to our CSR activities.
  • Volunteer Coordination, sourcing volunteers using different communication routes, and working closely with them to ensure the smooth running of the activities as well as their volunteering experience.
  • Liaising with different stakeholders, including charity partners and other BTMU branches in EMEA
  • Admin through usually data collection/ entry and other ad-hoc tasks.
  • Creating a comprehensive workshop for students
  • Providing support to the internal and external communications team, through selecting/ publishing articles.

3) What do you enjoy about your work?

We just had our Global Volunteering Month, which is usually full of different activities with different stakeholders, for example: some activities were targeted at the elderly (Origami lesson), other activities were targeted at the younger generation (College Application & Personal Statement Workshop) and we also had other environmental events, such as ‘the lunch & learn session with a former trader turned environmentalist.

Getting involved in every aspect of organising all of this was great, as it allowed me to learn so much about volunteering event management, and how their impact is related to a company’s overall CSR strategy, which I find very interesting.

I also enjoy working in multi cultural company, mainly dominated by the Japanese. This has allowed me to learn a little bit about their culture, specifically business culture and etiquette. I am also learning some of the everyday Japanese language used in the office.

5) What advice would you give current students to help them develop their employability?

When I graduated, I had no idea in what field I’d like to go into. This made extremely difficult for me to apply for specific jobs. I feel the main advice I could give to current students is doing as many work experiences, internships as they can get their hands on, as this will not only enhance their employability, by gaining new skills and experiences. It may also help them to have a better insight of what they enjoy and not enjoy doing, which can help them decide on a career path once they have graduated.

Students should also make use of any networking events either organised by the university or other organisations to develop their networking skills and their networking platform, as it may come in handy once looking for jobs.

Students, who work in retail or other customer service based roles, should not under-estimate the importance of these roles, and while you are at university try to develop yourself within these roles by taking in more responsibility. As I find from my own experience, working in retail as first a customer service advisor, then a team supervisor, has helped me develop many skills, including, communication, teamwork, working independently, organisational skills and so many others that have made more job ready.

Thanks to Zinab for providing some really useful tips.  Have a look at www.londonmet.ac.uk/careers for useful information to help you get ahead.

Share
This entry was posted in Careers, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.