National Audit Office Internship – The Programme offers a paid internship at the NAO. It is targeted at Black or Asian Penultimate/Final year students or recent Graduates (maximum one year).
For more information visit www.windsor-fellowship.org/#!national-audit-office-summer-internship-/c24y7
The deadline is 18th March
About the National Audit Office (NAO)
The NAO is an independent public body that helps Parliament hold government to account for how taxpayers’ money is spent. We provide assurance to Parliament through our audit work and add value to government by supporting its drive to improve public services. Our vision is to “help the nation spend wisely.”
Our work is impactful and influential. We make a real difference by working closely with government bodies to understand the challenges they face, helping them make improvements in important public services. Our work is wide-ranging – from health and education to transport and defence.
Our people (There are around 800 of us in London and Newcastle) have a great reputation among our clients, Parliament, other international audit institutions and the wider accountancy profession for professionalism, rigor and judgement.
About the Summer Internship Programme
Successful candidates will gain insight into the work of the NAO, covering both our financial audit and VFM work.
The assignments last for eight weeks commencing in July 2016. Through the internship you will gain an understanding of the skills and capability needed to become a Chartered Accountant.
The internship is likely to include work-shadowing auditors, conducting fieldwork for the NAO’s VFM teams, research, drafting option papers, interviewing and assisting with formulating questions for VFM studies.
During the internship you will have the opportunity to attend a number of training courses some of which are listed below;
- Government Framework Course – one day training which introduces interns to the history of government and combines this with a visit to Parliament
- Introduction to Assurance - one day course working through the cycle of a hypothetical financial audit and providing an understanding of VFM
- Public Accounts Committee meeting- an opportunity to attend a meeting at the House of Commons
- Graduate Programme – an opportunity to hear about and discuss applying to the graduate training scheme
The sheer number of central government departments ensures that your internship will take place in one of their key client area departments.
A place on the summer internship programme will give you an insight into the work that a graduate trainee is involved in. You will also, if successful during your internship, have the opportunity to attend the assessment centre. If successful, at the assessment centre, you would be offered a place on the NAO’s graduate programme.
- Competitive salary £23,060 (London) pro rata
- 4.5 days leave for an eight week placement
- Staff restaurant
- Subsidised onsite Fitness Centre (London)
What the NAO are looking for
Successful candidates come from a diverse range of backgrounds and may be studying or have obtained a degree in any subject. There are however, some key competencies that the NAO look for.
For a detailed description of each of the competencies, please visit: https://www.nao.org.uk/graduates/apply/what-we-are-looking-for/
- Penultimate/Final year of study or recent Graduate (maximum one year)
- A demonstrable interest in studying to become a Chartered Accountant
- An interest in the public sector, government and audit
- Expected degree: 2.1 degree and 300 UCAS points. If there are extenuating circumstances which mean that you have not been able to attain these, however, please submit your application for consideration, stating these circumstances clearly in your application. You can also contact Windsor Fellowship if you wish to discuss this before submitting your application.
- You will need to be a UK, Commonwealth, EEA or Swiss national to comply with
- Civil Service nationality rules. Please note that we do not sponsor work visas.
- · Windsor Fellowship Application deadline- March 18th 2016
- · Windsor Fellowship 2nd Stage Interview, Monday 25th Jan - Thursday 25th Feb 2016
- · Online Maths Test, March 2016
- · National Audit Office Competency Interview, April 2016
- · Summer Internship commences 4th July 2016
To apply to the programme please click the link below: