Guest blog: The Experience of an Intern

The Experience of an Intern: Q&A
Internships are a great way to get your foot into the world of work and most commonly, in
your desired field. This temporary professional learning experience is typically geared toward students or graduates that are on the lookout for opportunities in certain disciplines to give them the relevant experience and skills to progress in their chosen careers. In some instances, these temporary internships can turn into full-time positions. During the experience, you’ll also benefit from networking, learning more about the industry, and of course, confidence-building.
Laura Bill from Inspiring Interns chatted with past interns to find out about their professional experiences.

Firstly, we spoke to Amit Keshwala – a recent data intern working at Wildbrain CPLG who graduated from the University of Leicester in 2018.

Q: What was your internship role?
A: I was a Data intern at Wildbrain CPLG.

Q: Why did you decide to apply for an internship?
A: Before applying for the internship, I was looking for jobs after a short career break. I was considering permanent entry-level jobs in Data Project Management, but came across the internship role at Wildbrain CPLG, thanks to Inspiring Interns. As I had never worked in the industry before, I thought this would be a good stepping stone to get into the industry and find out more about what it entailed.

Q: What did you enjoy most about being an intern?
A: One of the most enjoyable aspects of internships is that it gives you the space to learn. I
worked in different industries before having the career break, and I believe that being an
intern helped me get back into the flow of the working world. It’s a great opportunity for any new graduate heading into a working role because it ultimately gets the ball rolling.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wildbrain CPLG. They provided support every step of the
way and allowed me to get on with my tasks without any pressure. They understand that
you’re new to the industry and give you the freedom to work in your preferred style, which I believe is key to a healthy working environment.

Q: Did the internship match your expectations?
A: I actually had no expectations before starting my internship. I was very open-minded, but once I started, I absolutely loved the role. One thing I would say is that if you’re looking for a very specific role, then an internship may not be for you. However, if you’re looking to branch into a certain industry, taking any role will be beneficial to you to help you get your foot in the door – you almost need to take on an umbrella search and see what is available at that time.

Q: What do you feel you have learned from your internship?
A: I believe my internship has equipped me with a wide range of skills including
organisation, time management, teamwork, and boosting my excel knowledge – which are
all needed in most industries and workplaces.

Q: Do you feel your internship helped your progress in your career?

A: Definitely. I think the fact you are taking on an internship to get into your desired field shows that you are proactive, which is a trait that employers look for. I edited my LinkedIn page to establish myself as a ‘Data Intern’ and I was bombarded with offers from various companies. I think the term ‘intern’ sparked their interest because it shows you’re trying to pursue your chosen career – and trying is the most important factor. I have been offered a full-time data role at Capgemini with a start date of August 2022 which is down to the fact that I now have the relevant experience in the data field.

Q: What advice would you give to other interns?
A: Don’t rush. Take the time to figure out what you want to do. Get some work experience in the field that interests you, but more importantly, follow your passion and you’ll never work a day in your life. You’ll face obstacles along the way but keep trying and stay proactive. Don’t give up hope  when you’re faced with disappointment – when one door closes, another opens!

We also spoke to Lina Sultani, Talent Development Manager at Inspiring Interns, who first started as an intern at the company.

Q: What was your internship role?
A: My role as a Talent Development Intern involved supporting recent graduates in their job search. My role was to pre-screen candidates for graduate and entry-level roles. Our
company uses an innovative tool which is Video CVs to maximise a candidate’s chances of
securing a role. I helped candidates create their Video CVs, manage our company CRM
system, Website, job boards, and marketing campaigns.

A: After deciding not to pursue Clinical Psychology following my graduation, I sought
opportunities where I could utilise my knowledge of Psychology. An internship felt like the
right choice as I would be offered training and exposure for a role that I didn’t have much
experience in.

A: I thoroughly enjoyed being able to help and support graduates as I have been in their
position before. I graduated in 2020, the year the pandemic started, and really struggled to
find opportunities during a time of uncertainty. I had the added pressure of pursuing a sector I didn’t have much experience in, so it was difficult to find an entry-level job whilst
transitioning. Through this internship, I was able to offer advice and my level of knowledge with the benefit of my personal experiences.

A: Whilst I didn’t know what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised. I was offered a lot of
training and support as well as flexibility. I work with a great team and they have been very supportive since joining.

A: I mostly enjoyed the exposure to Recruitment. The role introduced me to a vast array of
sectors, client/employer expectations, and the corporate life. I have been able to refine my
communication skills as I liaise with candidates and across departments at my team on a
day-to-day basis. My internship also helped me decide my future career plans as I’d now like to grow in my role and pursue Talent Development even further.

A: Certainly, I now lead the team as Talent Development Manager, working closely
alongside my CEO, Marketing team, Head of IT & Growth to improve candidate experience.

A: I would highlight the importance of creating the best CV. Working in Talent Development has taught me how important it is to ensure your CV shows the best version of yourself. This includes making sure it is up to date, no spelling/format errors, and that it is very concise. Your CV is an employer/agency’s first impression of you and with or without relevant experience, a good CV can carry your application much further than you may think.

Interested in applying for an internship? You can find a variety of internships on the Inspiring Interns jobs board today!

Article by Laura Bill, Inspiring Interns

Share
This entry was posted in Careers. Bookmark the permalink.