We’re updating Weblearn to incorporate the new Blackboard Ultra Base Navigation this summer (exact date tbc). This new navigation has a sleek, modern look and feel and will save you time with simpler workflows and easier access to important information.
What is the Ultra Base Navigation?
It is a modern, intuitive navigation menu that lives outside of modules. It includes links to new pages such as the Activity Stream, Calendar, Messages, etc. that provide quick access to the most critical information consolidated from all your modules.
- Video: Base Navigation for instructors
- Video: Activity Stream
- PDF: Base Navigation for instructors
- PDF: Base Navigation for students
What does this mean for me?
- Your modules will not change. They will look and operate exactly as they do now
- Once Base Navigation has been enabled you will see the new navigation as soon as you log into Weblearn
- The Weblearn start page will be replaced by the ‘Activity Stream’ showing all recent activity on your modules and course sites
- Your modules will be available on a ‘Modules’ link in the new navigation menu
How will this enhance your efficiency and experience?
- Works well on mobile devices. This navigation is designed to work well regardless of which device you’re using.
- Aggregates important information. All your module and organisation information – like calendar, messages and grades – is now consolidated into one global view, minimizing the time spent navigating into each individual module.
- Only one click away. See something that needs your attention? Just click on it and you will be taken directly there, minimizing clicks and saving time.
- Communication. A new messages tool will become available, allowing students check all of their Weblearn messages from a central page. This is a great new tool for users who are less likely to check their university email
- Piloting Ultra Module View. Interested staff will be able to pilot Blackboard’s new module interface, the Ultra Module View.
Will I be affected by downtime?
The upgrade will take hours rather than days. It will be scheduled for an evening or weekend slot after the main teaching and marking period for this year is over.
Once you access the upgraded version, the first page you see will be the activity stream and all modules will appear on the ‘Modules’ tab. Your modules will be exactly the same as before, so there is no need to get your head around new functionality or tools immediately.
What will the change look like?
The current Weblearn landing page will be replaced by a menu on the left that allows you to access essential functions in one click.
You’ll find all of your modules and organisations under links on the new menu
When you access a module, it will open as a layer over the new Ultra Base Navigation menu. Everything in the module will be exactly the same as on our current Weblearn version.